U15-U20 Smart Grids Collaborations Workshop
February 26, 2015
University of Alberta
This collaborative workshop brings together experts from the University of Alberta and researchers from the RWTH Aachen University to advance connections and establish collaborative partnerships in the area of smart grids. The workshop will provide UAlberta and RWTH Aachen researchers the opportunity to highlight their research work and to explore collaborative project ideas and possible next steps for moving joint research projects forward.
2nd floor Solarium, Engineering Teaching and Learning Complex (ETLC)
1:30 - 3:00 PM Panel Discussion - Smart Grids, Micro Grids, Distributed Generation
Panel Co-Chairs: J.D. McDonald, GE Energy Management; John Salmon, ECE UAlberta
- Neil Kirby: "HVDC" (Alstom Grid, HVDC, Business Development Manager)
- Fred Ritter (Alberta Electric System Operator, Chief Engineer)
- Kurt Ledoux: "Soft Power Grid Solutions Overview" (Toshiba, Business Director, Medium Voltage Motors and Drive)
- John McDonald: "Future Energy: Smart Grid and Beyond" (Director, Technical Strategy & Policy Development, GE Energy Management)
3:00 - 3:30 PM Coffee Break
3:30 - 4:30 PM Panel Discussion (continued) - Smart Grids, Micro Grids, Distributed Generation
- Erik Brandstaedter: "New Role of Modern RTUs in Smart Grid Environment" (RTU Business Development Manager, ABB Inc. - Substation Automation products)
- Warren Frost: "Integrated Grid Concept" (Country Manager, EPRI international Inc., Canada)
- Chris Chapelsky: "From Big Wires to Big Data: EPCOR's modernization as an urban power utility" (Distribution Automation Engineer, EPCOR)
- Kamyar Javan Moghadam: "Grid Resiliency" (Senior Engineer and SmartGrid Business Development Manager, Siemens)
Registration is required. There is no cost for participants to this event.
Registration deadline is: February 23, 2015.